- 400g dried red lentils
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 garlic bulb, finely chopped
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 sachet Geeta’s Madras Curry Paste
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions until soft and golden.
- Add the chilli, garlic and ginger and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the madras paste and fry until the oil is separated.
- Add the tomato purée, lentils and bay leaves to the pan and top with 500mls of water.
- Cook over a simmering heat until lentils are soft and sauce is reduced.
Used in this recipe
How we serve ours
This dish can be served on its own with chapattis or roti flatbreads or used as a side dish as part of your curry night-in! We’ve pan-seared a chilli pepper and some red onion to create an attractive garnish and topped with some fresh mint leaves or you can use fresh coriander if you prefer.