For the ham
- 1 boneless gammon joint, about 2kg
- 3 tbsp molasses or black treacle
- 1 tsp clove powder
- Pinch of mace
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- Peel of ½ an orange, cut into thin strips
- Handful of whole cloves
For the glaze
- 5 tbsp Geeta’s Mango Chutney
- 1½ tbsp mustard powder
- Finely grated zest of ½ orange
- Heat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7.
- Place the ham in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water.
- Add the molasses, all the spices (except for the whole cloves) and orange peel and slowly bring to a simmer, skimming off any scum.
- Simmer very gently for 1hour 30 minutes, until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 68C.
- Lift the ham out of the liquid (which can be used to make delicious baked beans), allow to cool slightly, then carefully cut off the skin, leaving as much fat beneath as possible
- Score the fat in a diamond pattern, and stud the intersections with the whole cloves
- Put the ham in a foil-lined roasting tray
- For the glaze, mix all the ingredients into a thick paste and brush over the fat of the ham
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes, basting twice during cooking and adding a sprinkle more sugar as you go, until the glaze is caramelised and bubbling
- Allow to completely cool before serving.
Used in this recipe
Here's How We Serve Ours
Serve as the centrepiece for any roast dinner or leave to cook completely and slice to serve with a cold buffet and finger food.