- Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- Serves 12
- V Vegetarian
If you’ve ever been left underwhelmed by shop-bought mince pies, then why not give these a try? Using ready-to-roll pastry couldn’t be easier and the combination of exotic and seasonal flavours will ensure these homemade treats are on the menu this festive season. The carefully blended spices in Geeta’s Mango & Ginger chutney means you don’t need a larder full of jars and sachets either – just a pinch of cinnamon and you’re good to go!
Butter, for greasing
Flour, for dusting
500g shortcrust pastry (we used frozen, ready-to-roll or you can make your own)
½ jar (115g) Geeta’s Premium Mango & Ginger Chutney
115g dried apricots, finely chopped
75g chopped pistachio nuts
125ml fresh orange juice
20g soft brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- In a small pan, gently warm the orange juice and add the soft brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir well and let the sugar dissolve.
- Add the chopped apricots to the pan and heat until they are soft and the mixture is gently simmering.
- Add the chopped pistachios and chutney. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Grease a 12-hole cupcake tin.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the pastry to 3mm thick.
- Using an 8cm cutter, stamp out 12 rounds for the bases and gently press into the holes of the prepared cupcake tin. Using a 7cm cutter, stamp out 12 more rounds for the lids and set them to one side.
- Spoon a heaped tablespoon of the fruit mixture to each pastry base.
- Brush the edges with a little beaten egg, then top each with a lid and press down to seal. Prick the lids with the prongs of a fork.
- Lightly brush the pies with the remaining egg and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Bake for 15 mins, or until lightly golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, before gently releasing with a knife.
These little fruit pies can be enjoyed at any time of year. They will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days, or serve warm with some pouring cream.
For a festive look, use any remaining pastry to cut out little stars as a decoration before baking. Before serving, sprinkle with some icing sugar and serve with whipped cream or brandy butter. You can even use any leftover chutney with your cheese and biscuits!
If ginger isn’t your thing, you can make this recipe with our classic Premium Mango Chutney or try our Pomegranate & Mango Chutney for a fruity twist.